Self-Introductory Letter

 Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Javid Amiroudine. I am currently a first-year student at the Singapore Institution of Technology, pursuing a degree in Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering. I do hope this email finds you well in giving you a deep insight into what you might expect from me in the coming few weeks in your module.

I previously graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in Electronics with Avionics 3 years ago. I have an immense passion for Aviation and I have always been awed by the engineering aspects behind an aircraft. Therefore, I have chosen an engineering course that will one day, allow me to be a part of my dream; working with aircraft and helping the aviation industry thrive.

One communication strength that I have is clarity and volume. In the past, I have been a shy and reserved person, who does not like conversing with other people. This was because I had a confidence issue where I would stammer when I got nervous. However, when I grew older, I practiced and learned how to build my confidence and now I have great presentation skills where I love to captivate audiences and in exchange, have a better time being with other people.

On the other hand, one weakness that I possess now is cultural barriers. Being an Indian, I sometimes I need to rethink about I can better tune my communication style. This is so that I can have better communicative qualities with people from other ethnicities. However, to work around that issue, I will just be myself and try to overcome that as much as possible. It is still something to work on in the long run.

In this module, my goals are to improve my language skills and communication skills. This is very important because when I join the workforce, these skills will be at the forefront of my persona, and in the long run will reflect on how I am treated at the workplace.

One fact that differentiates me from other people is my knowledge and interest in aviation.  It has always been a driving factor for me to do better in my academics and to strive to be a part of that world in the future.

I greatly appreciate the time that you have taken to get to know me better, and I am looking forward to working with you in class in the coming weeks.

Regards,

Javid

Comments

  1. Hi Javid, it is a well written introduction about yourself! Love the part where u mention how u used to be a shy and reserved person and how u developed yourself to open up more and gain confidence along the way. Hope to see more from you indeed.
    Regards,
    JiaJun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Javid, lovely introduction letter. I would never have guessed that you were an introvert with the way you converse and carry yourself in class discussions.
    “I do hope this email finds you well in giving you a deep insight into what you might expect from me in the coming few weeks in your module.” Break this sentence into 2 different sentences to improve clarity and flow.
    “In the past, I have been a shy and reserved person, who does not like conversing with other people.” Change the verb tense in this sentence.
    “one weakness that I possess now is cultural barriers” can be better phrased as dealing with cultural barriers.
    Look forward to fruitful interactions with you in class.
    Regards,
    Weng yew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Javid,

    You gave off a very clear introduction and purpose of the letter, I like the section when you are writing out your strengths and weaknesses, It is truly natural and original, and the feel I get is as if you are having a conversation with me like that, However, how are some suggestions for you to make the flow even smoother.

    1) This sentence " I have an immense passion for Aviation and I have always been awed by the engineering aspects behind an aircraft. Therefore, I have chosen an engineering course that will one day, allow me to be a part of my dream; working with aircraft and helping the aviation industry thrive." Can be written as " My fascination with aviation and the intricate engineering aspects of aircraft led me to choose a career path that aligns with my passion. I aspire to contribute to the aviation industry and play a role in its growth." Sounds more professional

    2) This sentence "One communication strength that I have is clarity and volume. In the past, I have been a shy and reserved person, who does not like conversing with other people. This was because I had a confidence issue where I would stammer when I got nervous. However, when I grew older, I practiced and learned how to build my confidence and now I have great presentation skills" I feel that it is very long and lengthy, instead you might want to write it out like this "In terms of communication, I have developed a strength in clarity and volume. Overcoming my initial shyness, I worked on building confidence, ultimately refining my presentation skills"

    Overall your letter was amazing and I am amazed at how you could express yourself in this letter without any hiding and restrictions to yourself very honest and truthful to the contents you put up in the letter as well.

    Regards,
    Arki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Javid,

    Thank you for the richly detailed and informative letter. We certainly learn a lot about who you are from this post, which is further evidenced by the quality of feedback you have gotten from your peers.

    There are several peer comments made about language use that you may want to consider.

    I look forward to hearing more from you in class this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of communication skills for engineers

Initial research pathway on the General Electric GE9X Aircraft Engine